I hope you are all well and coping during these strange times.
By now, many of you will already have received your child’s end of year report, sent by post last Friday. I know it has been a year like no other, but I can tell you that I was immensely proud of everything our Wellington pupils – your children – achieved this year.
Yesterday, I met with Wellington’s governors to seek their approval for plans to support our pupils during the full opening of the school in September.
I am now able to confirm the arrangements for the start of the new school year. We want the return to school to be a happy and positive event, as free from stress as possible.
- School will re-open for pupils on Monday 7th September 2020.
- Pupils will return to their old classes on that day. They will be welcomed back to the same classrooms, use the same entrances and meet again the teachers who last taught them in March.
- Classes will spend a week with their “old teachers”. We believe that returning to a familiar classroom with familiar adults will ease children’s anxieties, prepare them for their new classes and create an opportunity to say goodbye to their 2019 – 2020 class teachers.
- During the first week of the Autumn Term working routines will be established in a familiar environment. Transition meetings will take place to prepare pupils for the move to their new classes from Monday 14th They will meet their new teachers for the forthcoming school year.
- Work during the week beginning 7th September will be completed in their “old books”. They will be able to take those books home on Friday 11th
- Pupils will be in classes of 30.
- Pupils will be in year group, rather than class bubbles.
- The government expectation is that pupils will no longer need to socially distance.
- Pupils due to start in YR in September 2020 will be accommodated in Nursery during the week beginning 7th September for their usual sessions (morning OR afternoon OR 30 hours). September 2020 YR pupils from other settings may contact the school to arrange half day attendance in Nursery during the week beginning 7th
- YR (the 2020 intake) will start in Reception Class on Monday 14th Attendance will be half days on Monday 14th, Tuesday 15th and Wednesday 16th and full days from Thursday 17th September.
Mr Davies and Miss Blackwell will be in touch with you to confirm precise details.
- Wellington’s Nursery will open to its new intake from 14th
- All 3 access routes will be open (Dudley Hill Road, Leeds Road, Wellington Road).
- Classroom doors will be open from 8.35. Please do not arrive before 8.35.
- Children should enter the building immediately, as they arrive on the playground.
- Doors will remain open until 9.05.
- Latecomers should NOT use the main entrance – they should knock on the classroom window for access.
- Pupils can be collected between 3 p.m. and 3.20 p.m. Please do not gather on the playground before 3 p.m. Your child will be dismissed as soon as you arrive on the playground.
- Please respect social distancing on the playgrounds and pathways.
- Your child should remain close by you when being dropped off and collected.
- Parents cannot enter the school building.
- Full school uniform is to be worn. The indoor shoe changing policy has been temporarily suspended.
- Adults in the building will be wearing masks, but may choose to remove them when teaching in the classrooms.
- Pupils may wear masks or face coverings if they wish to, but it is not obligatory to do so.
Further information will be put on the website during next week to give detailed information about:-
- Lunchtime arrangements;
- The Curriculum;
- Off-site visits;
- Home School Agreement;
- School equipment;
- Photographs of the ‘new look’ classrooms will be put on the website at the end of August, following the big Summer Holiday clean;
- A new September 2020 Covid risk assessment will be added to the website.
From 14th September, pupils will continue their learning in new classes.
- RB will become 1M (Mrs Matthews)
- RD will become 1S (Mr Sheehan)
- 1S will become 2P (Mr Parker)
- 1M will become 2L (Mrs Lower)
- 2L will become 3CD (Mrs Cochrane / Mrs Dunne)
- 2P will become 3M (Miss M’itwamwari)
- 3M will become 4L (Mr Light)
- 3CD will become 4B (Mrs Baraniak)
- 4LO will become 5I (Mrs Illingworth)
- 4L will become 5T (Mr Thornton)
- 5T will become 6HJ (Miss Jones / Miss Halliwell)
- 5I will become 6LO (Mrs Lodge-Osborne / Mrs O’Dell)
I hope this provides you with ‘the headlines’, as we prepare for September 2020.
We are very excited to be welcoming all our pupils back to school. We have really missed them!
I want to thank you for your amazing work on home schooling. I know it has been by no means easy.
Together, we will move forward at the start of a new school year, working in partnership, so that your children can be happy, safe and successful in the year ahead.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, if I can help in any way. The best way to get in touch is via my direct e-mail address:- email@example.com
In the meantime, I send my warmest good wishes and sincere thanks to absolutely everyone for the way in which you have risen to the challenges brought about by a ‘once in a lifetime’ pandemic.
Download this letter as a PDF: Full opening of Wellington Primary School September 2020